What Christmas crafts for the classroom do you use during the month of December to keep your students engaged? December is not only a short school month, but I’ve found it to be one of the busiest months of the year.
I still remember the year when (with only 3 school weeks in December) we had the following:
- school holiday program practice
- end of trimester assessments
- holiday gifts and decorations
- Polar Express Day
- report cards due
- conferences held during the last week before winter break
All of these activities were added to the month, while trying to maintain our regular classroom activities. And during conferences, we had early dismissal for a week. Talk about a busy month! Have you ever had a December like that before?
Needless to say, I had to create some fun holiday crafts to keep the students engaged throughout December. These are 3 of the fun and easy Christmas crafts for the classroom that my students loved.
1. “Toed” Stocking Christmas Craft
These are Christmas stockings with a “toed” twist. The students created the stockings with the following steps:
Stocking Christmas Craft Directions
- Trace a stocking pattern onto two pieces of 12″ x 18″ red or green construction paper.
- Cut out a snow-melting pattern on white construction paper for the tops of the stockings.
- Glue both sides of the stocking together (on the edges only) for a two-sided stocking that can be stuffed with tissue paper.
- Cut out scraps of paper to create holiday pictures to glue onto the front of the stocking (a great way to get use up that bin of paper scraps).
- Use scraps of white construction paper to tear into circles to use as snowflakes. Glue them onto the front of the stocking.
I posted the Christmas stockings on the classroom walls to create a festive feeling in the classroom. Then I put candy canes in the stockings for the students before they took them home for winter break. It was a fun unexpected surprise for them.
2. Christmas Crafts – Santa Claus Painting Activity
Such an easy activity! All you need is background construction paper and holiday colored paint for this Christmas activity. The students painted the Santas on the first day without the white paint. Once the paint dried, they added the white paint. This kept the white paint from getting mixed with other colors. After you can have your students cut the Santas out.
One idea is to pair the paintings with a Santa writing activity for a December bulletin board.
3. Christmas Crafts – Reindeer
This Christmas reindeer craft is an easy Christmas craft to create. The only materials you need are construction paper, scissors, and glue. You may want to add optional yarn and a bright holiday bow.
This is another craft that you can pair with a reindeer writing activity for a December bulletin board. You can find this Christmas craft reindeer pattern and NO PREP reindeer writing printables FREEBIE in Christmas Reindeer Activities.
I would love to hear about some of the Christmas craft activities for the classroom that you have planned for the month of December. It’s always fun to hear how teachers keep their students engaged during busy December and the holiday season.